Thursday, March 3, 2011

Another Teacher Speaks Out

      This response was so specific and well-thought-out, that I did not want to re-word it in any way. Here it is in its entirety: 
 
Shirley,   I have been reading your blog.  I think everyone has some great ideas.  However,  if I am understanding the "cuts" needed, they need to be a lot deeper cuts than what are being suggested.  I have a suggestion that would be a deep cut, but would also benefit the students a great deal.   My suggestion is that they make it mandatory retirement for everyone all the way from administrators to non-certified staff who are eligible to retire with their full 80.   First of all,  if they did make them retire, then they could reapply just as so many did in 2004.    When you reapply, you are placed back on the 20 year experience level.  That alone would save around and up to 15K per person.  PLUS,  they would not get the benefits of the district such as health insurance, etc.   These savings would be deep savings, but it would definitely save a lot of money.   Also,  this would give the administration a chance to hire back the great teachers and not hire the teachers who should have retired years ago and who are just there for the paycheck. 

Also, a big concern that I have had for years is that so many new teachers are getting discouraged and leaving the profession because they don't know how to organize or teach or discipline effectively.  In order to keep this new generation of teachers from leaving the field, they need strong mentors such as highly-qualified retired teachers.   I believe that there are some teachers who would retire IF they had a little something to do after retirement.    I suggest that some of the highly qualified teachers be hired back on a part time basis to assist and mentor new teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have adjusted the settings on the comments to allow you to comment without having a Google account. If this still does not work, I will call one of my former students who can help me out.