Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bringing Order to Chaos

           What do I do each day?  I bring order where there is chaos, focus where there is lack of direction, and understanding where there are random thoughts.  It’s what my spirit draws me to do.  Human beings crave organization.  Without it, no goal is accomplished; no group moves forward.  I have studied people and their cultures most of my life.  In the various creation stories, it is always the same.  First, there is energy and space with no form.  The Greeks called it Chaos; the Norse named it Ginnungagap.  Then, in some “magical” way, order is brought to the universe, and the earth and heavens are created, somehow bringing order to the galactic mess.  Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe it.  Even atheists believe it; they call it the Big Bang.  Wow!  Instant order!
            When a teacher fails to bring order to a classroom, nothing can be accomplished, unless by accident.  Therefore, just as in the beginning of earth, first and foremost, there must be order.  If God thought it was a good idea, why wouldn’t we?
            To maintain this order, there must be standards, rules.  God gave us ten to bring order to the entire planet, all the while giving us opportunities to fail or succeed by sprinkling us with free will.  Jesus simplified the plan by giving us the Golden Rule.  This rule turned the “shall nots” back onto the individual, who must first understand and love himself enough to extend that love and understanding to others.  Conscience became the ruler of man.
            Our forefathers saw a lack of conscience in the British monarchy that ruled the colonies.  So, they created chaos, the American Revolution.  Then, they devised 10 rules with a handful of amendments to govern what became the greatest nation in the world.  Each state was given free will (states’ rights), and they tacked on dozens more rules in an attempt to get people to focus on that which is important in a given area and bring order to it.  This free will led the states to split, more chaos.  Then, Reconstruction brought order once again.  Through it all, there are those who try to bring definition, understanding, and application of these rules so that societies can move forward. 
            As a teacher, I am at the heart of this process.  Some days I must bring order and move my students forward.  Other days, I must play the devil’s advocate and plant seeds of discord to generate thought so that the masses can assume responsibility for self and see a need for order, a need so strong that they – not I – calm the waters, organize the crew, and strike out on the voyage of their lives, focused, prepared, and determined to achieve the goal, whatever it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have adjusted the settings on the comments to allow you to comment without having a Google account. If this still does not work, I will call one of my former students who can help me out.